Thursday, January 28, 2010

Life at Basic

DAY 1 (1/11/10):
Two hours before reporting to the hotel I received a call from my NCO's wanting to know why I wasn't at drill on Sat, Sun. I did not attend and didn't let anyone know either. My reason for not going well, is cause I didn't want to since I was leaving for Basic. It's a piss poor excuse, but that's the reason. I was informed that I was technically AWOL and it's a criminal offense and that I could loose a rank and in general it's not fun. Part of me suspected that not going to drill was a big NO-No, but I was more worried about getting stuff at home done. Error in judgement on my part.

Amy has dropped me off now and I'm sitting in my room with my roomie for the night. He is swearing in tomorrow. He seems like a good kid. No complaints. But then again I will only be in the same room as him for a night.

There isn't a whole lot to do at the hotel. We have a briefing at 20:00 and that's about it. The hotel does a game room with an Xbox so some of us went and played Call of Duty 4. It's funny how a lot of these guys will talk about how they play online with there friends and how they have a clan and blah blah blah, but once we get playing, I freaking mop the floor with them. It's definitely a fun feeling.

Pretty much that was the evening. We played video games, had a quick brief meeting, watched some TV, bought a chocolate milk and granola bar for $4, called Amy and went to bed. Fun!

1 comment:

Cardon Times said...

Good luck, Vinnie! If they ever enlist Chiropractors active duty then I will be signing up as well, but till then I'll just keep going in debt with school! Glad you're keeping a blog about this, I think you'll be pretty happy you did. Really man, good luck. Take care of yourself.

--Cardon